Merthyr Tydfil

Merthyr Tydfil owes its name to Tydful, the daughter of Brychan, Prince of Brycheiniog, who was slain by the marauding Picts in the 5th Century at the Site of the Parish Church. Subsequently canonized, the site on which she was slain became known as Martyr Tudfyl (Merthyr Tydfil).

Merthyr Tydfil lies just to the south of the National Park's boundary and is the perfect setting for a wide range of activities and attractions. Days out for all the family can be spent in the local forests and hills at sites such as the Taff Fechan Local Nature Reserve, Gethin Woodland Park, Garwnant Forest or at one of the many attractions including: Cyfarthfa Castle Museum and Art Gallery; Joseph Parry's cottage; Brecon Mountain Railway or the International Indoor Climbing Centre at Taff Bargoed.

Walkers will find an endless choice of both challenging and more gentle routes including the long distance Taff Trail, which links the capital city of Cardiff to the historic market town of Brecon.

The Trail passes through some of the Taff Valley's most spectacular countryside and incorporates many interesting features within the local area such as the Penydarren Tramroad which carried Trevithick's famous engine down to Abercynon in 1804 - a world first.

Within Merthyr Tydfil itself, there are a variety of local heritage trails which highlight the town's historic sites and places of interest. These range in length and terrain to suit all needs and abilities. Merthyr Tydfil's Ramblers Association also arranges a programme of guided walks throughout the local area.

For more information, including details of accommodation, contact the Tourist Information Centre on: 01685 379884 or email