Penwyllt Quarries and Brickworks

Located in the Upper Swansea Valley, to the east of the Black Mountain range, Penwyllt is a former quarrying village, quicklime and silica brick production centre. Its fortunes rose and fell as a result of the industrial revolution within South Wales.

Commercial lime kilns were first built at Penwyllt in the 1820s and 1830s and a silica brickworks opened in the 1860s, followed by the Neath and Brecon Railway. By the 1940s, there were five working limestone quarries in the area and over 30 families lived in the village.

In the 1940s, the closure of the ironworks at Ystradgynlais brought hard times to the residents. The lime kilns finally closed in 1959 and the railway closed to passengers three years later.

Childhood memories of Penwyllt

This is a series of 15 minute podcasts delving into the childhood memories of former Penwyllt residents, Phil, Hubert and Alan, exploring home, community and industrial life during the 1930's and 1940's.
 

Home life  Download

Community Life Download

Industrial Life - Download